as amended August 1996
The name of this organization shall be THE BERMUDA DRESSAGE GROUP.
The purpose of the Group is to educate horse and rider in classical dressage with assistance from recognized authorities. To this end, the Group shall provide clinics, lectures, shows, schooling shows. and other educational activities. The Group shall be a non-profit, educational organization. The Bermuda Dressage Group fully recognizes the Bermuda Equestrian Federation’s role as the National Equestrian body and wishes to work with the B.E.F. to promote harmonious involvement within the horse community.
MEMBERSHIP & DUES:
1. Membership shall be open to any person concerned with the purpose of the Group
2. Membership shall be paid annually on July 1st (as amended Aug ’96 )
3. The amount of dues for active membership shall be set by the Board of Directors.
4. A candidate for membership shall apply to the Secretary with the annual dues.
5. Any member delinquent shall cease to be an active member in the Group.
Payment of delinquent dues returns a member to active status.
6. From time to time, Honorary membership may be conferred at the discretion of the
Board of Directors and shall require a vote of two-thirds of the Board of Directors.
7. Any member may be expelled or suspended from membership in the Group by a
two-thirds vote of the Board of Directors for any conduct which is inimical to the
objectives or best interests of the Group or its members; no member shall be sus-
pended until he/she has been duly informed in writing of the charge against him/
her and has had reasonable time and opportunity to reply in his/her own defence.
1. The officers of this Group. each of whom shall be a member of the Board of
Directors, shall be elected by the membership at the Annual Meeting of the Group
and shall assume their duties at the close of said meeting.
2. The officers shall be the President, Vice-President, Recording Secretary, Member-
ship Secretary, and Treasurer. The Group may have other appointed officers as
considered necessary by the Board of Directors. Said appointed officers shall hold
their offices for such terms and shall exercise such powers and perform such
duties as shall be determined from time to time by the Board of Directors.
3. The officers of the Group shall hold office for two years. An officer may not serve
for more than two consecutive terms.
4. If an officer or director misses two consecutive meetings without being excused
by the presiding officer, his/her office shall be considered vacant. Any vacancy
occurring in any office or directorship of the Group shall be filled by the Board of
Directors for the remainder of the term.
DUTIES OF OFFICERS:
1. The President shall be the chief executive of the Group and shall preside at all
meetings of the membership and of the Board of Directors. The President shall
have general and active management of the business of the Group and shall see
that all orders and resolutions of the Board of Directors and of the membership
are carried into effect. The President may call a special meeting of the Group
whenever the President deems necessary. The President shall be an ex-officio
member of all committees.
2. The Vice-President shall. in the absence or disability of the President or upon the
request of the President, have all the powers to perform all the duties of President.
3. The Recording Secretary shall give notice and keep the Minutes of all meetings of
the Group, and shall have charge of all correspondence and files of the Group.
4. The Membership Secretary shall be responsible for maintaining all records of
5. The Treasurer shall be the chief financial officer of the Group. The Treasurer shall
collect all monies due to the Group,keep full and accurate accounts of receipts and
disbursements, deposit all monies and other valuables in depositories
designated by the Board of Directors and pay all bills of the Group.
1. The business of the Group shall be managed by its Board of Directors which may
exercise all powers of the Group and do all such lawful acts and things as are not
by statute or by the Certificate of Incorporation or by these Bye-laws directed or
required to be exercised or done by the members of the Group.
2. The number of Directors which shall constitute the whole Board shall not be less
than five nor more than eight. The Board of Directors shall consist of the elected
officers and such additional Directors as the membership shall elect at the annual
meeting and shall assume their duties at the close of said meeting.
3. Up to three Directors shall be elected annually who shall hold office for a term of
4. Regular meetings of the Board of Directors may be held without notice at such
time and such place as shall from time to time be determined by the Board.
5. Special meetings of the Board of Directors may be called by the President with
two days notice to the other Directors, either personally, by mail, by fax, or by
telephone. Special meetings shall be called by the President in like manner and
on like notice at the request of two Directors.
6. At all meetings of the Board, one-third of the number of Directors then in office,
but not less than three, shall constitute a quorum of the Board for the transaction
of business and the action of majority of the Directors present at any meeting at
which there is a quorum shall be the act of the Board of Directors.
7. Any action required or permitted to be taken at any meeting of the Board of
Directors may be taken without a meeting provided two-thirds of the members of
the Board consent thereto and confirm this vote at the next meeting of the Board
of Directors so that the action is recorded in the next minutes.
1. Committees of the Group may be appointed from time to time by the President to
serve at the discretion of the President.
2 The Nominating Committee shall consist of three members, at least one of whom
is not a member of the Board of Directors. It shall be its responsibility to present
a slate of officers and directors to the membership.
1. The Meetings of the Group shall consist of an annual meeting and such other
meetings as may be called by the President or by the Board of Directors.
2. The membership shall be given notice of the time and place of Group meetings by
mail or telephone.
3. The annual meeting of the Group shall be held following the year- end, at a time
and place to be determined by the President. The Secretary shall give written
notice to the membership not less than fourteen days prior to the date.
Election of Officers and Directors shall take place at this meeting.
4. At a meeting of the membership, a quorum shall consist of one tenth of the number
of currently active members.
5. The order of business for the Group shall be:- Roll Call, Approval of Minutes,
Matters Arising out of the Minutes, Officers’ reports, Committee reports,
Unfinished business, New business, Adjournment.
6. The business of the Group shall be governed by the current edition of Robert’s
Rules of Order.
No officer, director, or member of the Group shall receive salary, compensation, or fee for services rendered except that any officer, director or member may be reimbursed for reasonable expenses incurred in connection with carrying out duties on behalf of the Group. The Board of Directors may, after due deliberation, refuse to reimburse any expense it considers unreasonable, excessive or overly burdensome to the Group.
DISPOSITION OF ASSETS UPON DISSOLUTION
In the event of dissolution of the Group or other termination of its activities, all monies shall be paid over or transferred in equal amounts to the Bermuda Equestrian Federation.
The Bye-Laws of the Bermuda Dressage Group as herein provided, except Article X hereof, may be altered, amended or repealed, or new Bye-laws may be adopted by the members or the Board of Directors. Notice of said alteration, amendment, repeal or adoption of new Bye-laws be contained in the notice of said meeting and shall be approved by two-thirds of the active members present at said meeting.
The Provision contained in Article X hereof shall remain in full force and effect and shall not be altered, amended, or repealed except by the vote of two thirds of the membership.